REQUIRED EXAMS FOR EDUCATION PROGRAM APPLICATION
State Requirements for Education Program Admission
Candidates must document basic skills competency for admission to educator preparation programs using the following additional assessments/routes:
- ACT® with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT® with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math prior to 3/1/2016
- SAT® with a score of at least 1170 based on Critical Reading and Math on or after 3/1/2016
- GRE® with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative prior to 8/1/11
- GRE® with a score of at least 301 based on Verbal and Quantitative on or after 8/1/11
- Applicants who do not meet the above may use the Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) as an alternative qualifying exam on basic skills competency and for application to an accredited Teacher Education Program.
- NOTE: APPLICANTS WITH A MASTERS OR HIGHER DEGREE ARE EXEMPT FROM THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS.
- The CASA exam consists of three sub-tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. A score of at least a 220 in each sub-test must be attained to pass. Retakes are only needed for failed subtests. Ivy Tech campuses charge an additional fee to proctor the test. IUPUI does not charge additional fees but there is a charge for parking. Tests are available at other locations as well.
- Financial help may be available through our Spicer Phillips Grant. See https://websites.hanover.edu/education/resources/scholarships.php
- for more information on applying!
For information and to register to take the CASA Exam - go to https://www.in.nesinc.com/
Preparation is the key to successfully taking the CASA exam. Students should review the following test subjects and seek assistance in areas of difficulty. CASA Exam Standards
Students who "brush up" and study for the CASA usually do well. The ones who don't usually have to retake which costs money! Pearson Education preparation materials are recommended by the Indiana Department of Education. There are also several independent CASA test prep products on the market. The Hanover College Bookstore as well as Amazon and other online bookstores offer workbooks and study guides including ones by Mometrics and Trivium - we have a few copies in Newby Hall for you to use. The Longsdale Publishing Company's online course and practice tests have been reviewed by our Program and it's a good value for preparing for the CASA at $39.95.
Plus - there are many videos FREE on You Tube - just do a search for Indiana CASA Exam or click the link below!