REQUIRED EXAMS FOR EDUCATION PROGRAM APPLICATION
State Requirements for Education Program Admission
Candidates must document basic skills competency for admission to educator preparation programs using the following additional assessments/routes:
- ACT® with a score of at least 24 based on Math, Reading, Grammar, and Science
- SAT® with a score of at least 1100 based on Critical Reading and Math
- GRE® with a score of at least 1100 based on Verbal and Quantitative prior to 8/1/11
- GRE® with a score of at least 301 based on Verbal and Quantitative on or after 8/1/11
- Applicants who do not meet the above may use the Indiana Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) as an alternative qualifying exam on basic skills competency and for application to an accredited Teacher Education Program. This exam consists of three sub-tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. A score of at least a 220 in each sub-test must be attained to pass.
For information and to register to take the CASA Exam - go to https://www.in.nesinc.com/
Preparation is the key to successfully taking the CASA exam. Students should review the following test subjects and seek assistance in areas of difficulty. CASA Exam Standards
Students who "brush up" and study for the CASA usually do well. The ones who don't usually have to retake which costs money! Pearson Education preparation materials are recommended by the Indiana Department of Education. There are also several independent CASA test prep products on the market. Amazon and other online bookstores offer workbooks and study guides. The Longsdale Publishing Company's online course and practice tests have been reviewed by our Program and it's a good value for preparing for the CASA at $39.95.
NOTE: APPLICANTS WITH A MASTERS OR HIGHER DEGREE ARE EXEMPT FROM THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS.