Licensing in Indiana
In order to apply for an Indiana Teacher's License, the State requires the following:
- A Bachelor's degree in an approved major
- Passing Indiana CORE licensing exam scores in both Pedagogy and Teaching Content Area
- Successful completion of a Licensing Certification Program (LCP) at a Department of Education accredited Educator Preparation Program (EPP) like Hanover College
- Suicide Prevention Training Certification https://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/suicide-prevention-training
- CPR certification via the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross
- Application for Initial Educator License and payment via Indiana's Licensing portal known as LVIS
More information is available on each of the above bullets via the menu on the left.
The Hanover College Educator Preparation Program (EPP) prepares teachers to meet State of Indiana licensing requirements and national accreditation via SPA and NCATE/CAEP. We strongly encourage all Program Completers to obtain their Indiana teacher's license soon after graduation, no matter the particular personal circumstances at that time. While most states do have some version of license reciprocity, it is easier to get a license in another state after being licensed in the state where teacher training was completed and many states require it. Students should research another state's requirements by visiting the Department of Education website of the particular state for specifics and discuss these with their Education Program advisor while they are students.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Those students who have not met all criteria for certification have a limit of one calendar year from their graduation date to complete all requirements for teacher certification through Hanover College. After that deadline, students would have to obtain certification a Transition to Teaching Program or through graduate level coursework at another institution. Individual reviews and appeals may be conducted upon request. The decision of the Program Chair of the Hanover College Educator Preparation Program is final in regards to licensing eligibility/certification status.
YOUR INITIAL INSTRUCTIONAL LICENSE IS VALID FOR TWO YEARS. INFORMATION REGARDING RENEWING THIS LICENSE (IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TEACHING) OR CONVERTING TO A FIVE YEAR PROFESSIONAL LICENSE (VIA IMAP OR PGPs) IS AVAILABLE UNDER THE LVIS NAVIGATIONAL TAB ON THE LEFT. THE HANOVER COLLEGE EPP STRONGLY RECOMMENDS THAT YOU DO NOT ALLOW YOUR LICENSE TO EXPIRE!