Educator Preparation Program

Frequently Asked Questions

chalkboardWhat is the Educator Preparation Program at Hanover College?

Elementary Education Degree and Certification (k-6)

Special Education: Mild Interventions Dual Certification (p-12) 

Secondary Education Certification (5-12) with the following Majors (plus an optional double major in Secondary Education)

Certification Programs for Teacher Licensing in Indiana

Art - all grade or 5-12

French - all grade or 5-12

Spanish - all grade or 5-12

Physical Education and Health - all grade or 5-12

Theater - all grade or 5-12

Secondary Programs (5-12)
Biology (5-12)


Earth and Space Science (Geology Major)

Life Science  (Biology or Environmental Biology Major)


English Language Arts (English Major)



Government (Political Science Major)

Historical Perspectives (History Major)

* After initial licensing in one of the above areas, teachers may also add content areas to their license by passing the corresponding CORE test.
  (i.e. economics, geography, sociology, psychology, etc.)


When can I start taking Education courses?

We encourage students to take EDU 221 at the earliest opportunity! EDU 221 is required before students can apply to admission to the Program.

There are no prerequisites for the following courses and these can be taken at any time and in any order.

EDU 172  Exploring the Arts  - Required (Elementary Education only)

EDU 231 Education Law and Ethics - Required (Elementary and Secondary Education)

EDU 252 Professional Collaboration - Required for MI Dual Certification/EDU Elective

EDU 253 Instruction and Assessment - Required for MI Dual Certification/EDU Elective

EDU 254 Special Education Law & Policy - Required for MI Dual Certification/EDU Elective

EDU 255 Classroom Management & PBIS - Required for MI Dual Certification/EDU Elective

EDU 256 Learning Environments & Transition - Required for MI Dual Certification/EDU Elective

Upper level (Methods) classes may only be taken by formally admitted teacher candidates. Application can be made as soon as students meet the state and program requirements for admission but should not be later that Winter term of the sophomore year.

How do I know I am on track to be certified in Education by the time I graduate?

Request an education professor as your academic advisor after Hanover 101.  Meet with them during every advising period. Meet with our Student Services Coordinator/Teacher Licensing Advisor for additional advising.  Do not procrastinate and achieve admission as early as possible - delays in attempting/passing admission exams are the biggest obstacle to students. Advising sheets are available to monitor all requirements under Entry Level under the Resources & Documents tab above.

If I compete Teacher Preparation and Certification at Hanover, can I teach in other states outside of Indiana?

Hanover College Educator Preparation Program readies you for an Indiana Teacher License.  Most other states have some version of license reciprocity with Indiana. Several states require that a teacher be licensed in the state in which they obtained their degree and training. It is always better to go to another state as a certified and licensed teacher.  Education laws and requirements can change frequently and vary from state to state. Hanover College ensures that you are prepared for an Indiana teacher license.  Other states will have different required teacher competency exams or may require that all licensed teachers take a specific course not required in Indiana.  Please be proactive and research licensing requirements for the state you are interested in and communicate with your education advisor and the Education Licensing Advisor regarding these requirements by the junior year.  At minimum, there are likely specific forms that must be completed and our licensing advisor is happy to help you with out of state licensing issues and procedures. 

How and when do I apply to the Education program at Hanover College? 

Students should begin to prepare their applications any time after taking EDU 221 but not later than the end of Winter Term of the sophomore year.  The requirements for admission are:

1.Basic Skills Assessment scores which could be any ONE of the following:  

  • 24+  on the ACT
  • 1700+ on the SAT
  • 220+ on the CASA in each of Reading, Writing, and Mathematics
    NOTE: This is a state requirement.

2. Essay of 1,000 words from the specific prompt found in the Application utility on My Hanover which reflects your writing ability and your passion for teaching.

3. Recommendations from two Hanover College professors  - one of which must have instructed you in a course. Your academic advisor is another good choice for a recommendation. Applicants should ask permission to use the professor(s) for a reference and the professors will then be contacted as part on the online application process.Education professors nor current Teacher Education Committee members are eligible for giving references.

4. A clear judicial and academic honesty record.

5. A minimum GPA of 2.5

6. Completion of the online application form via My Hanover (under the Academics tab).

7. A successful Decision Point One interview with a team of TEC members

*The Teacher Education Committee reads and votes upon all completed applications. Any application which does not meet the above seven requirements will not go to the Committee until all requirements are complete.

How early in Education coursework am I exposed to a real classroom? 

Most Education courses (including entry-level course EDU 221) require field experience in K-12 classrooms , with real children/adolescents.  Students will have at least 100 hours of classroom experience before going into 14 full weeks of student teaching for certification completion. NOTE: all courses with field experiences require a yearly background check from Safe Hiring Solutions (see the ABOUT web page).

Do I have an opportunity to be in urban school setting?   

Strong Hanover College teacher candidates do have an opportunity to complete their 14 weeks of student teaching in an urban school in Louisville, Indianapolis or via The Philadelphia Center or Wartburg College West in Denver, CO.  All other teacher education candidates complete a three-day urban school experience following their student teaching, so all Hanover College Program Completers do have some urban teaching experience.

What is the Special Education program? Can I complete it alongside my elementary or secondary program?

Hanover now offers a "Teaching Diverse Learners" dual certification program for P -12 Special Education.  This program in Mild Interventions can be completed alongside their Elementary or Secondary Education studies. Licensed Indiana teachers may also complete this coursework for a license addition. Classes are held in the evening as well as two that are online in the two summer terms. Undergrads are required to complete an integrated student teaching assignment. An additional CORE exam is required for licensing

What is the placement rate for Hanover's certified graduates? 

About 99% of Hanover College Education Program Completers were hired to teach in public or private schools beginning the fall after their graduation.  Other graduates chose to volunteer for organizations like the Peace Corps or work for entities like the JET program, Boys and Girls Clubs Of America, private tutoring centers,  museum, national parks, law school, camps,  educational programming, coaching, teaching abroad, or work in daycare, preschool, or as teaching assistants.  

What if I have more questions? 

Even if you are not sure that you want to teach, our faculty and staff members are happy to guide you through the process of helping you decide! Email them to make an appointment or contact Cheryl Torline in the Education Student Services office in Newby Hall Room 6 or email to

"Want to change the world?  Become a teacher!"