Please contact Cheryl Torline, our Education Services Coordinator, if you are unable to make this event
and she will meet with you privately before the end of classes. We will have one more meeting in the fall.
We realize that so much information can be overwhelming so we invite you to talk to our faculty and staff early and often! Our program changes often as state and federal laws change. Good and thoughtful planning are essential in information. The EDU curriculum is changing quite a bit for 2017-2018, so please ask if you are unsure of confused by any of the changes.
First year and other pre-admit students are encouraged to take the following:
EDU 172 (Exploring the Arts) Requirement for Elementary Education majors who have not had EDU 171 or EDU 216. Satisfies W1 ACE and partially satisfies the LA CCR *not needed if have had EDU 171 or EDU 216
EDU 221(Education and the American Culture) Required for both secondary and elementary certifications.
Satisfies the W2 ACE
EDU 231 (Education Law and Ethics) Required for both Elementary and Secondary Education.
Satisfies the W2 ACE. *not needed if have taken EDU 230
Higher level courses are only for teacher candidates who have met the criteria below and have applied for and have been formally admitted to the Teacher Certification Program. This is Decision Point One of the Education Program. Sophomores and above may apply by November 1 of the academic year. Circumstances can dictate late admission if necessary, but the student may have issues with course sequencing. Any application submitted after the Nov. 1 deadline must be accompanied by a letter of appeal for late consideration and state the reason the deadline was not met by the applicant.
The state of Indiana has set specific entry criteria for pre-service teachers in any approved Education Preparation Program (EPP)
Applicants must meet one of the following:
SAT score greater than or equal to 1100 (superscored math and verbal sections only, not writing)
ACT composite score greater than or equal to 24
CASA - Core Academic Skills Assessment exam with passing scores for each subtest of Reading, Writing, and Mathematics See http://www.in.nesinc.com/ for information and registration.
Additional Hanover College requirements include:
- Submission of the online application form via My Hanover under the Academics tab or this link: Education Program Application Form
- GPA of at least 2.5 (note that GPA must rise to 2.67 both in the major and overall for Decision Point Two)
- Essay per rubric in the application
- Two recommendations from Hanover College professors via the online application utility. Education Department professors and Hanover faculty serving on the Teacher Education Committee (TEC) cannot recommend students for admission. (TEC for 2016-2017 is composed of M. Vosmeier, Bailey, Bates, Brautigam, E. Hall, Mruzek, Torline). Academic advisors are a good choice for a recommendation and the other should be a professor that has instructed the applicant in class.
- Decision Point One Interview with members of TEC.
Please contact one of our faculty or staff members for any questions you may have about applying to EDU!