Tips for Becoming a Licensed Teacher
NOTE: If you are interested in licensing in other states, research the licensing requirements for that state BEFORE leaving Hanover College, if at all possible. Our department can then assist you with the certification paperwork. Kentucky and some other states now require Indiana teacher program completers to obtain their Indiana license before they can apply in that state. You may also need additional licensing exams for that state.
Additional Considerations for Job Seeking Seniors....
- As a senior, you may apply to teaching positions prior to receiving your license. We recommend asking for a "good standing" status letter for use at job fairs and in applying for positions prior to licensing - the more you have completed of the licensing requirements, the more effective your letter.
- Ensure that you credential file in the Levett Career Center is complete. Mrs. Krantz will help you with the specifics!
- Request letters of recommendation from your mentor teachers, student teaching supervisor, and Hanover College faculty well before graduation!
- Keep your own credential file (electronic and hard copies of documents like suicide prevention training certificate, CPR card , letters of recommendation, score reports, student teaching evaluations, etc.) for future use.
- Let the Licensing Advisors (Dr. Bailey and Mrs. Torline know by email that you have applied for your licence. We do not receive notifications that there is an application in our queue. Be sure you have PAID for the application. Once the license has been coded by the Advisor, your licence will arrive via email attachment. You may also download it any time from LVIS.
- Notify the Education Department of your employment! We are required to track and complete data on you for our accreditation processes.